• Lightened Jalapeño Popper Dip

by  • January 15, 2013 • Food & Recipes • 25 Comments

Lightened Jalapeño Popper Dip

You may be wondering how, in the light of my cross-country move to New York, I found time to make a delightful party dip.

Magic, that’s how.

Magic, and other people’s kitchens.

Honestly, I am amazed that I found the time myself. It feels like I’ve spent the past week drowning in an ocean of bubble wrap, wondering how I accumulated all of these water bottles, and why seventeen decorative pillows found their way into my apartment in the first place. And more importantly, who wants to purchase any of these items.

Lightened Jalapeño Popper Dip

I think all of the stress is making me a little weirder than usual. Sometimes I catch myself feeling sorry for a coffee mug or shelving unit that didn’t make the cut to go to New York. That’s how I know for sure that packing is a raging bitch and has turned me completely delusional.

In case there were any doubts.

Lightened Jalapeño Popper Dip

But in the midst of packing, I took a break to create this incredible dip for my last meeting with my Austin book club. The dip was delicious, and baking it made the entire floor smell incredible. The non-book-clubbers who smelt it were physically angry that I didn’t allow them more than one bite.

Lightened Jalapeño Popper Dip

I will definitely be making this again. Like, every time I have to bring something somewhere. It’s got some great substitutions that make it light without making it taste weird. Personally, I think it tastes better. Perhaps because I know it’s not damaging my precious thighs. Oh, yeah, and you can check it out on Shine Supper Club this month, too.

On a side note… I’m moving to New York City. Like, tomorrow.

So make some jalapeño dip and celebrate for me, will you?

Lightened Jalapeño Popper Dip (adapted from this non-lightened recipe)

Ingredients

• 1 8-oz. pack neufchâtel cheese (basically the same as low-fat cream cheese)
    • 1/2c fat free greek yogurt
    • 2 Tbsp mayonnaise (the real kind – this will give you the perfect texture to make it feel non-lightened)
    • 1/2 c shredded mexican blend cheese (low fat if you prefer)
    • 1/2 c parmesan
    • 1/2 can diced green chilis (2 oz)
    • 2 fresh jalapeños, seeded and minced
    • salt & pepper to taste
    • 1/2 c panko bread crumbs
    • 1 Tbsp butter, melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 F. In a medium bowl, blend together neufchâtel cheese, yogurt, and mayo until smooth. Stir in 1/2 c mexican cheeses, 1/4 c of the parmesan, diced chilis, minced jalapeños, salt, and pepper. Remove dip to an oven-safe container (I just used a pie pan). Mix panko bread crumbs with melted butter and remaining parmesan, sprinkle mixture over top. Bake for 20 min, then switch to the broiler for 3 additional minutes to make the top extra golden brown.

25 Responses to Lightened Jalapeño Popper Dip

1. Amanda
      January 15, 2013 at 9:45 am

Happy last day in Austin! Love you!! -a

2. January 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I loooove regular jalapeno popper dip. I make it for parties a lot, and like, quadruple the jalapenos. My friends think I’m trying to kill them. I’m going to try your lightened version next time – it looks fantastic!

3. Kathryn
      January 15, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I will so be making this for my next book club – amazing. And New York is getting a gem, I know you will shine there. And remember – Keep Blogging.

4. Meg
      January 17, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Yum, yum, yum . . . I need this right now. Hope everything goes swimmingly with your move!

5. January 18, 2013 at 5:24 pm

This looks amazing!!! My hubby would probably kiss my feet if I made it for him… I wonder if I used the pickled kind of jalapenos, if it would taste the same but be less spicy? (I am in the Austin area too, btw.)
      ~Jamie

• Ring Finger Tan Line
        January 19, 2013 at 10:55 am

Not sure! I am not a big pickled jalapeno person so I don’t know too much what the difference would be like. I do really love the flavor the fresh ones give though – it’s really not that spicy!

6. January 25, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I’ve been mulling over making a lightened up artichoke jalapeño popper dip and this is almost exactly what’s been on my mind right down to the panko topping. I plan to roast some jalapeños before adding them for a more mellow flavor. Yours looks amazing!

7. Pingback: Deconstructed (and Lightened) Jalapeño Popper Dip « wafoodie

8. Mary Lopez
      February 22, 2013 at 7:52 pm

What did you serve the dip with? In the picture it looks like bagel crisps.

9. Pingback: Lightened Jalapeño Popper Dip - Can Cook, Will Travel

10. Pingback: Host An Epic Summer Party - DoEpicRuns.com

11. MIchele
      September 22, 2013 at 10:45 am

Good luck sweetie in the Big Apple!!! Glad you found time for this very good looking dip!! I’ll whip up a batch in honor of your new move!

12. Pingback: Lightened Jalapeño Popper Dip

13. Pingback: Best Booksellers Ever | Religious Books

14. Pingback: 26 Reasons You Don’t Need Meat At Your Super Bowl Party - zdouf!

15. Pingback: 41 Guilt-free snacks for the big game. | Huatees

16. Pingback: Every Super Bowl Party Recipe You'll Ever Need - What Dress Code?

17. Pingback: Have a Happy and Healthy Superbowl! « Healthy Hearts Program ~ Children's Heart Center Nevada

18. Pingback: Guilt Free Super Bowl Snacks | Koenig Family Chiropractic

19. Pingback: Hair Bow Bottle Caps Jalapeno | www.sacxtra.com

20. Pingback: Best Shortstop Ever | Truth About Cellulite

21. Pingback: Potty Training Cooking For Your Toddler Recipes | Potty Training The Easy Way

22. Pingback: 17 Day Diet Jalapenos | WEIGHT LOSS HEALTH QUEST

23. Pingback: Fly Spear | 41 Guilt-Free Super Bowl Snacks

24. Pingback: Paleo Recipes with Ground Turkey and Rice Stuffed Peppers | Paleo Diet