• French 75

by  • December 20, 2012 • Food & Recipes, Uncategorized • 12 Comments

French 75

The French 75 is my all-time favorite cocktail. I could absolutely drink one every day for the rest of my life . And if God forbid I ever end up in a coma, I am putting in a formal request to have it streamed through my IV. I fully understand that some medical professionals may consider this as a sign of alcoholism. But really it’s just a sign of good taste.

French 75

This was the first time I have ever made a fancy cocktail at home – and I’ve got to tell you, folks: that shit was easy. Like, dangerously easy. As in don’t be surprised if you find me passed out in three hours surrounded by empty champagne bottles easy.

I made a double batch for my book club Christmas party on Sunday and (surprise), it’s all gone. Lucky for me, I made extra simple syrup and stashed it in the fridge… along with spare lemon juice, gin, and champagne. Oops.

French 75

This really is the quintessential champagne cocktail, which makes it perfect for Christmas Eve, or even better, New Year’s Eve. It’s certainly what I’ll be drinking.

Happy holidays!

French 75, makes 8 cocktails (But you will want more, so you should double it. Or triple it. This is a judgment-free zone.)
    adapted from Bon Appetit

Ingredients:

• 1/2 c simple syrup (recipe follows)
    • 1/2 c gin
    • 1/2 c lemon juice
    • 1 bottle champagne
    • lemon twists (for garnish)

Directions:

Mix together simple syrup, gin, and lemon juice. Chill, or mix with ice and then divide evenly amongst champagne flutes. Alternatively, you can take a little bit at a time and mix it with ice in a cocktail shaker. Top with champagne and a lemon twist.

Simple Syrup

Ingredients:

• Sugar
    • Water

*Use equal parts sugar and water. I used 1c of each to make some extra and have plenty left over.

Directions:

Mix equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and simmer until sugar dissolves. Let cool before using. Store in an airtight container.

12 Responses to French 75

1. December 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Beautiful photos! Looks yummy and relatively simple.

• December 31, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Love this cocktail too but I make it with St. Germain (elderflower liquor) instead of simple syrup – yummo and serve it shaken in a martini glass ;)

2. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Oreo Fudge - Ring Finger Tan LineRing Finger Tan Line

3. Pingback: New Year's Eve Recipe Ideas

4. Pingback: Hello Beautiful | Girlfriend Recommended: Champagne Cocktails

5. December 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Oh Em Gee, I just recently discovered the French 75 and I am in love! Have you ever tried it with a little bit of Chambord? It’s a-mazing!

6. Mary Myers
      December 31, 2012 at 10:19 am

My sister suggested I follow your blog. I have really enjoyed it. I forwarded your blog and recipe for the French 75 to one of my BFF’s. We were a bit skeptical since we are not gin drinkers, however we were very pleasantly pleased with how this tasted. It could very well be our new drink in 2013. Thank you for sharing.

7. Pingback: 13 Ways to Make This Year Your Bitch - Ring Finger Tan LineRing Finger Tan Line

8. January 10, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Oh wow – sounds tasty. Is it weird that I love reading stuff like this even though I’m 4-1/2 months pregnant and don’t drink right now?

9. Audra
      January 25, 2013 at 11:33 am

last year was the vodka gimlet for me… I’m not a gin fan but will try anything with booze at least once. :)

10. May 28, 2013 at 1:35 pm

You have inspired me to set up a book club with compulsory cocktails and seasonal parties. We may occasionally talk about books too!

11. Pingback: 6 Champagne Cocktails for your New Year's Eve Celebration