• How-to: Trim Split Ends at Home

by  • September 27, 2012 • Fashion, Home & Beauty, How-to • 26 Comments

Every month for work, I pack my carry-on and jet off on an all expenses paid journey to an exotic destination. Like Minneapolis. Or Columbus. There must have been a misunderstanding in the hiring process where I accidentally checked a “likes traveling to exciting Midwestern destinations” box.

I do not particularly enjoy work travel, but a few key factors make it bearable. A soy chai latte and banana, for example, can take my stress levels from explosive to bubbling. Most important, however, is my reading material – there is nothing like curling up in an airplane seat with the new issue of Cosmopolitan to turn my frown around.

This month in Cosmo, I learned many interesting facts about fall trends and penises, but one story in particular caught my eye. “Trimming Split Ends at Home,” a methodology developed by LA Hairstylist Laini Reeves, showed four simple steps to avoiding your impending $150 haircut. Brilliance.

I immediately knew I wanted to try it, and share it with all of you if it went well. The only problem: taking pictures of your own hair is exactly as difficult as it sounds.

Enter, my lovely model.

Meet Lauren. Despite her better judgment, Lauren is my friend. As you may be able to tell from the photos, she is one of those special folks whose metabolism defies all reason and caloric intake.

When I first met Lauren a year and a half ago, I thought to myself “wow, she’s pretty - let’s fatten her up.” I literally baked her thousands of goodies before realizing that she just isn’t human. The more butter I fed her, the more radiant she beamed. It’s like the extra fat nourished her skin.

I tried to hate her for this. I really did. But you just can’t hate someone who cries while watching women’s gymnastics. Or who shows up at your apartment with ice cream when your antidepressants turn you into a tear faucet. Or who talked you into starting a blog that would eventually change your life.

So I gave up trying to look better next to her, and decided to take pictures of her instead. And what a beautiful model she makes. Expect to see a lot more of her as her RFTL modeling career develops.

Follow along here as she demonstrates Laini’s methodology for trimming your splits at home:

Part hair down center.

Divide into equal sections and bring hair in front of your shoulders.

Divide the first section in half again.

Working one section at a time, begin to twist hair.

Twist all the way to the ends.

Using your thumb and index finger, gently glide hand across the twist from ends to midshaft.

This will cause frayed ends to pop away.

Snip away at frayed ends, preferably with real scissors and not the kitchen shears we used. Repeat for each remaining section.

26 Responses to How-to: Trim Split Ends at Home

1. jennifer
      December 26, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Just one question, which direction do you start to snip the ends, diagonally or straight up? Or does it not matter?

• Ring Finger Tan Line
        December 27, 2012 at 8:34 am

I tend to tilt diagonally away from the twist to make sure I never cut hair that isn’t meant to be cut on accident :)

2. Pingback: How To Trim Split Ends | Hair and Beauty Tutorials

3. Kaitie
      December 31, 2012 at 9:27 am

I absolutely love this. Just tried it and it’s amazing how my hair already looks better. Thanks for sharing this!

4. Mallory
      January 26, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I think this is a very creative idea, i love creativity.. but I am a hairdresser and yes it costs money to get your hair trimmed but there’s a reason we do it. Regular scissors that you get from the store for paper aren’t sharp enough! they will leave your hair with more split ends that will eat their way up the rest of the hair strand :( (( until properly sharpened shears cut them off…. We spend up to $1000 on shears to make sure our clients hair is cut perfectly :)

5. Stacey
      April 14, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Thank you for posting this! I can’t wait to do it! Only question i have is..do I completely cut away the strands that poke out after twisting the section of my hair or simple trim the ends? Thank you so much hopefully you reply soon so I can start!
      -Stace

• Laura
        April 14, 2013 at 6:41 pm

No – you will be able to see the splits pretty clearly as the flyaways come out! It doesn’t have to be completely cut away. Just the split part.

6. Pingback: DIY hair trim | 2000 Miles

7. Pingback: DIY Beauty Hacks Every Girl Should Know | Pinky Ring

8. Pingback: Get rid of split ends by twisting locks of hair and snipping the ones you see sticking out - XnY DIY Tutorials

9. Pingback: Makeup Life hacks | Creatively Lazy

10. Pingback: 3 formas de cortar el cabello en casa | El Blog de Friki

11. Pingback: 27 DIY Beauty Hacks Every Girl Should Know | AllAmericanGal

12. Pingback: 27 DIY Beauty Hacks Every Girl Should Know | Dolce2Dolce Wedding

13. Pingback: 8 Valuable Life Hacks to Know | Female IntelFemale Intel

14. Pingback: 41 Life-Saving Beauty Hacks Every Girl Should Have In Her Arsenal | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

15. Pingback: 41 Beauty Tip Tricks You Should Know - Cozmo Beauty School

16. Pingback: [Virales] 41 trucos de belleza que te salvarán la vida y que toda Peñaflorina debería tener en su arsenal. | Peñaflorinos Presentes

17. Pingback: 41 trucos de belleza que puede que no conozcas · Diario Mikit

18. Pingback: My fav beauty beauty DIY’s from buzz feed! | Try it , I did .. your turn.

19. Pingback: 15 Truques de beleza que vão mudar sua rotina | SOS Solteiros

20. Pingback: 15 Truques de beleza que vão mudar sua rotina | Dona de Casa Atualizada

21. Pingback: 12 Easy Beauty Hacks That Will Totally Change Your Life |

22. Pingback: How to trim split ends at home |

23. Pingback: 15 Truques de beleza que vão mudar sua rotina – Dicas & Truques Online

24. Pingback: Zuri International – 27 DIY Beauty Hacks Every Girl Should Know