• Mini Espresso Cheesecake Bites

by  • March 23, 2012 • Cook, Food & Recipes • 16 Comments

Though my internal clock adjusts to nocturnal mode for the weekends, weekdays are a very different story. When I’m not doing something extremely exciting (like checking my blog stats), I tend to fall asleep on the couch at 9:30, wake up and move to my bed at 10:30, then tell people that’s the time I actually went to sleep to avoid being shunned as a complete loserpants.

Last night, however, I would be damned if I missed the midnight showing of The Hunger Games. In an effort to stay awake for 2 hours and 20 minutes of sadistic bliss, I made up a very espresso-filled recipe that I hoped would keep me from drooling on my neighbor in the theater. Mission accomplished, I’m 70% certain.

The movie was amazing. I didn’t even need the espresso to stay awake, because I spent most of the time actively ogling the male tributes. The film was not 100% true to the book, but I could let the details go for the sake of not sitting through a seven hour movie. And not eating the entire batch of these by myself.

Making these little babies is very simple. The trick is to make extra filling so that when you bring them to whatever gathering you’re going to, it doesn’t look like you’ve eaten half of what you made. Your secret is safe with me.

Ingredients:

• 1 package mini phyllo shells (found in the freezer section – comes with 15 shells)
    • 1/3 c mascarpone cheese
    • 1/3 c cream cheese
    • 3 Tbsp espresso powder, dissolved in 3 Tbsp hot water
    • 1/2 tsp vanilla
    • 1/4 c powdered sugar
    • pinch of salt
    • fresh raspberries
    Directions:
    Mix cheeses together until smooth. Add espresso and vanilla, mix well. Stir in powdered sugar and salt. Pipe filling into phyllo shells. Garnish with raspberries (don’t leave these out – they add a lot of complexity to the flavor).

Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your flavor.

16 Responses to Mini Espresso Cheesecake Bites

1. March 23, 2012 at 11:21 am

These look great! I would eat them anytime, probably not at night since I don’t sleep till after midnight. But maybe in the morning to keep me awake at work? :)

2. March 23, 2012 at 11:35 am

I’ve actually started to drool looking at your photos. I will definitely be trying these! Do you think they’d work well if I used butter icing rather than the cheese? I’m lactose intolerant so unfortunately can’t have the creamy deliciousness

• March 23, 2012 at 11:55 am

The first thing I would try to substitue is tofutti (http://www.tofutti.com/btcc.shtml) so things don’t get too sweet. If you can’t find that, try dairy-free greek yogurt/ soy greek yogurt and add a little extra powdered sugar. Otherwise, butter icing would work in smaller quantities to avoid too much sugar & espresso in one bite! :)

• March 24, 2012 at 4:59 am

Thanks! Unfortunately, there is very little dairy-free stuff available in Ireland at the moment but hopefully I’ll be able to find this. That’s a very valid point about the sugar/espresso combination – the results come be devastating! :P

3. March 23, 2012 at 11:49 am

perfect bite sized treats

4. March 23, 2012 at 11:58 am

Beautiful and simple – I love these!

• March 23, 2012 at 12:26 pm

thank you! they tasted delish. i might not always add that much espresso, but i needed it last night for sure!

5. March 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Yum! Even without the raspberries this recipe looks so delicious to try!

6. March 23, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Mmmmm. These look so good. I’m going to see Hunger Games tomorrow and am really excited. Wish I could have these to snack on, but I’m in the middle of a juice cleanse… I’ll just have to look at the pics and imagine how good they are!

7. March 23, 2012 at 9:20 pm

These look delicious! I am practically drooling.

8. March 24, 2012 at 3:20 am

These look so delicious. Yummy and pretty!

9. Pingback: Sneak Peek: Pasta with Spicy & Creamy Marinara Sauce for Two « Ring Finger Tan Line

10. Pingback: Sneak Peek: Pasta with Spicy & Creamy Marinara Sauce for Two | Ring Finger Tan Line