• Hair How-to: Velcro Rollers

by  • February 16, 2012 • Fashion, Home & Beauty, Uncategorized • 23 Comments

When I read that Giada DeLaurentiis uses velcro rollers, I had to have them. We have a love/ hate relationship, Giada and I. She has all of the things I want in life, except for her unusually short arms. She can keep those. But come on, she already has multiple shows on Food Network, I was not about to let her have better hair, too.

To even the playing field (yes, I realize I am kidding myself there), I bought myself some velcro rollers and went to town. I used them five times with absolutely no success. You see, the how-tos out there just assume that you kind of know what you are doing with these babies. Newsflash: I didn’t. So here is my idiot’s how-to guide to straight, shiny hair with volume and body.

Apply a bit of pomade to the ends and roots of your hair. Mr. Pomade is my good friend. You may recognize him from my post on curls.

Part your hair into sections using a comb. Roll up the sections and secure each with a bobby pin. Be sure to get them as close to the scalp as you can, this will create the extra oomph.

Keep rolling until your head looks like an octopus.

Here is the part that nobody ever told me to do. BLOW-DRY IT. Yes, your hair is already dry. I understand that. But the heat will make your hair actually stay how it is supposed to, just like hot rollers. I feel very stupid for not having realized I was supposed to do this until my sixth attempt.

Wait at least 20 minutes to let your hair cool and set. Then, take each roller and pin out, starting at the bottom.

Eh Voila! My hair never has much body, so yours might get a lot more oomph than mine. And for that, I will be jealous.

WHACK!

Enjoy, my loves. Stay tuned for more manhunting hairstyles from your favorite divorcee.

23 Responses to Hair How-to: Velcro Rollers

1. February 16, 2012 at 10:00 am

You’re adorable! I have some velco rollers and they just collect dust. They never did anything for me either… but I’ve never used a blow dryer on them!! I’ll have to try it this weekend… along with the other 30 hair tips I see on Pinterest.

• February 16, 2012 at 10:37 am

Thank you! :)
        I don’t understand why NO ONE tells you to use a blow dryer!!! Try it. Night and day difference, I swear.

2. February 16, 2012 at 10:04 am

I really need to figure out how to curl my hair. I should probably start with mastering the art of using a curling iron. Rollers just look so much easier..

• February 16, 2012 at 10:43 am

Velcro rollers are much easier, but won’t give you a curl.

Curling irons are your friend. Do not fear. It’s kind of hard to explain exactly how to use them so you don’t get a crease without pictures, but it’s pretty easy. Maybe I will have to do a how-to post on curling irons

• February 16, 2012 at 11:49 am

I would be thrilled if you did a Curling Iron For Dummies post :)

3. February 16, 2012 at 11:48 am

Everytime I tried to use Velcro rollers it was a mess to “unroll”… my thin hair got tangled in the velcro and it got very messy indeed. Maybe if I blow hot air on it it’ll be better (have to say I never thought of it either).

• February 16, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I am so glad there are others like me who never knew about the blow-drying step. make sure you use a comb to separate the sections when you are rolling them up, and that you put the rollers in fromt he top down. This will keep hair from getting tangled. Also, be sure to remove slowly and in the same direction that you put them in. Hope this helps! :)

• February 16, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Thank you! I shall try and revert with what will hopefully be a positive update (or a picture of a velcro roller tangled in a huge hair knot) :D

4. February 16, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Thank you! I’ve always wanted to use velcro rollers but didn’t have the first clue how! Now I feel inspired to give it a try :-)

• February 16, 2012 at 12:48 pm

It’s totally worth it. I use them whenever I need to look extra-good, but not like I am trying too hard.

5. February 16, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Beautiful darlin! Your hair is just gorgeous. Oh, and you are hilarious. I love it. xoxo

6. February 16, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Cutie!

7. February 16, 2012 at 9:19 pm

You forgot to add that along with her overly short arms, she also over enunciates, has twice as many teeth as she should and uses her hands too much when she talks. She also has a husband that rides a long board down the street…you can also thank God you don’t have THAT. ;)

• February 17, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Haha I guess I romanticize her a little because I not-so-secretly want to steal her shows ;)

8. February 16, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Oh, and your hair is gorgeous!

9. February 17, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Well it certainly doesn’t hurt that you have gorgeous hair to begin with ;-) I have a package of these in that random under the sink bin every person I know has…You know….the one with rogue tampons, hair products you don’t like, and stolen hotel toiletries.

Lookin’ good!

• February 21, 2012 at 10:00 am

Aw, thank you! I feel like every woman has a stash of underutilized velcro rollers. Such a shame! They work so well when you use them right!

10. Terence
      April 11, 2012 at 2:27 am

you should put some mousse, wax, hair spray or gel first.. so that the it’ll hold your hair.

• Ring Finger Tan Line
        April 11, 2012 at 8:34 am

I use pommade, because it works better on my hair for some reason. But you’re right – the others will work as well!

11. May 8, 2012 at 5:55 pm

You’re gorgeous!! And you bet I am going to run to bathroom and dig up my velcro rollers to test this out!

• Ring Finger Tan Line
        May 14, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Thank you! :) And yes, try it out! Life-changing.

12. Pingback: 16 Hair Drying Hacks For The Most Perfect Blowout | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips